Netgear WN3000RP and iPhone

Just had a weird experience with my Netgear “Universal WiFi Range Extender WN3000RP”.

It seemed pretty evident I wouldn’t be able to automatically add it to my Airport network, so I whipped out my iPhone and quickly connected to the NETGEAR_EXT network. And I quickly got it connected to my home network. I even told it to use the same password as my home network.

And just as quickly, it was not useable. I could not connect the iPhone to the new network and when I got out an old laptop, it wasn’t working either.

So, I got out my trusty paper clip and reset the Netgear box. And this time, as I was installing, I paid more attention. The issue turned out to be a nasty interaction between the iPhone browser automatically making the first character in the data entry be upper case and the Nethgear being case sensitive for the password. I don’t know that I’ve ever encountered the case sensitivity, but maybe I’m just super cautious with that normally.

I also can’t figure out why with an unobstructed view of my Airport Extreme Base Station I’m loosing 31% connectivity and through one wall, I’m seeing 48% loss.

Leave a Reply